Ad

Tuesday 15 September 2015

Police Demand Money Before Arresting Robbery Suspect


The house, where the alleged robbery took place
The house, where the alleged robbery took place
A police officer is presently embroiled in a mess after a robbery victim, Ayodele Oduniyi, alleged that the policeman demanded N15,000 bribe to arrest his (Oduniyi’s) assailants.

The officer, identified as Fatai from the Area M Police Division, requested the said amount as motivation for himself and other colleagues to track down the robbers, but he was able to only give out N2,000.
According to The Punch, the policeman was assigned to Oduniyi after reporting that some robbers raided his apartment on Mati Olumuyiwa Street, Orelope, in the Egbede, Lagos on September 1, 2015.
According to the complainant, some valuables and Automated Teller Machine (ATM) card, which they later used to withdraw N100,000 from his bank account, were also stolen from him.While explaining his ordeal, Oduniyi said: “I worked on my computer till 11.30pm that day before my wife and I decided to go to bed. All of a sudden, we saw our door wide open and two men with a gun and a torch came in.
“They ordered us to lie down and threatened to kill us and our child if we refused to cooperate.
“They took the N5,000 I had on me, my phone, Ipad and my wife’s two phones. They collected the ATM card of my GTB account, and requested I gave the correct PIN or lose our child. It was when one of them was busy searching my wardrobe that I managed to see his face. I can recognise him if I see him.
“I was trying to call GTconnect after they had left when I received five alerts 0f N20,000 each that had been withdrawn from my account. The transaction was carried out at the Access Bank’s ATM in our area.
“I went to Area M and a policeman, Fatai, was told to take my statement. He inspected my house, I gave him pictures and a print out of the alerts from my email address. He said he would write a letter to Access Bank, requesting the visual of the person that withdrew the money. I have been to the station and called him on the phone several times, but he has been giving me excuses.
“He requested N15,000 to motivate his colleagues to track those guys. I said I only had N2,000 which I gave him. I guess he is foot dragging on it because I did not give him the N15, 000.”
Speaking also on the incident, another victim of the attack informed that the robbers fled after he raised the alarm, and that they could not succeed with their purported assault.
“I was sleeping in the parlour when I heard a scratch on the door. I was already standing when they entered. I wanted to move, but they threatened to shoot me. They ordered me to lead them to the room where my wife and children were.
“While I was going, they were a bit far from me so I quickly jumped into the room and shut the door. My children and wife had woken up by then, and we were all shouting ‘thief, thief’. That was how they fled,” the neighbour who pleaded anonymity said.
Omotope Bello, who was also involved in the robbery incident, described it as “terrible”, adding that the manner of approach of the police was quite unfortunate.
According to him: “It was around 4pm when I heard the distress call. It was terrible. It was the first time such a thing would happen since I moved into this area three years ago.
“We expect the police to be aggressive about it. It should not be difficult to get the identity of the person that withdrew the money since a camera was there.”
Reacting to the allegations, the Lagos State police spokesperson, DSP Joe Offor, vowed to get to the root of the case.
“I have been trying to get across to the DPO of the station to no avail. By tomorrow (Monday), the case file and the policeman that is handling the matter will be verified from the station,” he explained.
Only recently, a Police Inspector lost his ammunition after visiting a brothel and drinking himself to stupor.

No comments:

Post a Comment