Ad

Monday 21 March 2016

Azarenka Stuns Serena Williams To Win Paribas Open


Victoria Azarenka has won her second BNP Paribas Open title by defeating Serena Williams 6-4 6-4 in Sunday's final at Indian Wells in California.


The 26-year-old Belarusian, a former world number one, broke the top-seeded American once in the opening set and twice in the second before wrapping up the win in just under 90 minutes in front of a stunned crowd at Indian Wells Tennis Garden.

World number one Williams, seeking a third title at Indian Wells after winning her second a distant 15 years ago, was badly let down by her forehand, though she did mount a late fightback and broke Azarenka in the eighth game of the second set for 3-5.

Williams came close to levelling with Azarenka, serving for the match, wobbling at 15-40 but the Belarusian fired an ace, got to deuce when Williams hit a backhand long and clinched victory when her opponent hit a forehand service return long.

An elated Azarenka was able to celebrate her fourth victory over Williams in a WTA final.

“I had no doubt in my mind that I will give everything I can,” Azarenka told ESPN in a courtside interview about the see-sawing final game of the match.

“I couldn't control how she was going to play and she was throwing some bombs there.

“But I stayed tough because it's the only way to win, to stay strong, to keep doing what's been working. I just wanted to work hard, give it my all, and it worked.”

No comments:

Post a Comment