Ad

Saturday 13 June 2015

Man Donated Blood 1,000 Times, Saved 2 Million Babies

Meet a man who is branded a national hero in Australia and his arm has been insured for $1 million AUS.
James Harrison has donated blood more than 1,000 times in the past 60 years saving the lives of more than two million babies! The 74-year-old man has an extremely rare kind of blood with antibody in his plasma that stops babies dying from Rhesus disease, a form of severe anaemia. In Australia there were thousands of babies dying each year until doctors found out that James’ blood had an antibody and managed to invent a life-saving vaccine called Anti-D.
Meet a man who is branded a national hero in Australia
Since then Mr Harrison has been giving blood every few weeks since he was 18 years old and has now racked up a total of 984 donations. His blood was deemed so special his life was insured for one million Australian dollars. He was also nicknamed the “man with the golden arm” or the “man in two million”.
Since then Mr Harrison has been giving blood every few weeks since he was 18 years old
Speaking about his decision to donate blood Mr Harrison said: “I had a chest operation where they removed a lung when I was 14. I had received 13 units of blood and my life had been saved by unknown people. So I decided when I’m old enough, I’ll become a blood donor. I’ve never thought about stopping. It makes you feel good yourself that you’ve saved a life there, and you’ve saved many more and that’s great.”

No comments:

Post a Comment